7.23.2007

Harry Potter up the Wazoo

I'm sorry for the dry spell of no posts. I have been insanely busy with school, work, family, and getting ready for my mother-in-law's stay at the old Wells home. I will do a bit to catch up.

As I'm sure most people in the US (and many other parts of the world) are reading Harry Potter, those of you who are reading this are either done with the book or could care less about Harry Potter books. I think about half the people I know refuse to read the books and choose, however, to see the movies instead. You are definitely missing out. I love both. I hate trendy stuff, but this I found I like. Good storyline. I could read this to my kids, and be happy myself.
Yoshiko, Ren, and I went to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (HPOP) the Saturday after it opened at the Grand XanGo Theater at the Scera in Orem with about half of XanGo's staff. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Yoshiko liked it, but thought it wasn't quite what she had expected. I told her she really needed to read the books to really understand what was going on. I explained that the Lord of the Rings was, as a whole, a 900 page book and they made that into three-three hour long movies. HPOP has about the same amount of pages and they crammed it all into two-and-a-half hours. It's like the old joke about how many BYU coeds you could fit into a VW Bug: just doesn't work. She definitely needs to read the books.
Anyway, my mother-in-law came into town last week. Before she came, I purchased Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in Japanese before she came out. Set of two books--¥450 (about $4) is all I payed for that bad boy. It was listed as used and was brand-spankin new. Brand new, it's ¥4000 (about $35). Now I have the first four books in Japanese. Three more there and five more in English. Here's a pic of my Jap books lined up.


So basically in a one-week period, I see the new HP movie, get my new Japanese HP book, and buy the last HP book in English. Doesn't this cover in the pic below look enticing. I had to stop reading the first HP book in Japanese for a little bit to read HP and the Deathly Hallows.


Kinda funny, tho. I've had the book since Saturday, and I still haven't finished it. When I read it, I can't put it down. It's finding the time to read that's the problem. Hopefully I'll have it done tomorrow. Well, on to the next post.

No comments: