6.13.2007

Another fun day

Man, I keep having fun days! This morning, Yoshiko was a little late starting for school. You kind of expect that after being up all night doing homework. I help her with what I can on those mornings (unless I'm too tired to wake up from my crazy schedule). This morning, as Yoshiko was leaving, she asked me to email her those several assignments she had worked on all night. You see, the computer takes an unbelievable amount of time to boot up. There are so many programs that have been put on the computer that start running with the booting up. It literally takes 15 minutes before you can use the computer. Yoshiko couldn't wait that long, or she'd be late for class.

About two or three minutes after Yoshiko left, the computer made a loud beep followed by a horrendous noise. Then came the blue screen of death (as my friend Roy calls it). I was scared. I have never had this happen to me. I tried calling all my techie friends. No one answered. I finally got a hold of my Uncle Ron, a programmer. He told me that if the disc crashed, it would be near impossible to recover any information. I immediately called Yoshiko and gave her the news. She said the same thing I was thinking--take it to the Geek Squad.

Geek Squad was no help. They told me it was definitely a mechanical failure and that they would not be able to recover the memory. About that time, Yoshiko called me. I haven't heard her cry like that since her grandpa passed away. It was not a good moment. To think that we had lost all the pictures we had taken since the beginning of January--a whole quarter of Ren's life up to this point--was unbearable. So many memories lost. Luckily we had backed up all the pictures up to January.

About that time, a friend called and told me to bring the computer to him. Somehow, we were able to boot up the computer. We got about a quarter of our not backed up pics copied to his hard drive. That friend pulled out the disc, and you could hear something rattling around inside. Not a pretty sound. I left after that. My friend tells me now that he hasn't been able to get it to boot again. I hope that he can get the rest of the pics. At least we got some.

Looks like it's about time to invest in another hard drive (or maybe another computer lol). We just needed this computer to last another five months. We'll see, I guess. All this, and I was once again unable to finish the work on my car to get it registered. Hopefully nothing eventful happens tomorrow so that I can pull the parts I need from the junk yard. Well, till the next post (which will probably be about my b-day last week).....

No comments: