5.14.2007

Driving a 2003 BMW 325i

One of my good friends from wind orchestra decided to give his older (late 80's) Bimmer and get something a little newer--somewhere around 2003, but under $20,000. He said he really wanted a BMW, but was out of his price range. Well, he got lucky and found an almost mint 2003 like the one in the pic, but black. Out the door, he paid $18g. Why so cheap? It had been keyed on the hood and trunk. That's it. Kinda funny to think that because "rich" people won't buy a Bimmer with scratches that have even been fixed, it significantly lowers the price of the car.
While we were standing outside his apartment admiring his car, he asked me if I wanted take it for a little test drive. Who would say no? The second I put my butt into the driver's seat, I knew I was in heaven. When I turned the key, I wasn't quite sure if I had actually started the car. It was, by far, the quietest car I had ever been in. At first launch, I was a little nervous. This was the nicest car I had ever driven, period. Instead of just checking left and right, I did a double take to make sure that there was absolutely no other cars coming. Once the car had warmed up, my friend told me to gun it. That was some of the best acceleration I had ever felt. My son in the back kept saying "wow!" I think he likes test drives as much as I do. Another thing I was impressed with was the handling. The car cornered incredibly well. I did tell my friend that a strut bar would greatly improve that. The one thing I thought could be improved is the bolster on the seats. My friend said the sports package editions have huge bolsters like the seats on my car.
All in all, this car is perfect. Black on black with black tint. If you can afford a BMW, I say go for it. Personally, I have several cars that I would like to own before I own a Bimmer, but I will own one someday. I think I'll go with the turbo charged 5 series tho ;)

No comments: