6.06.2007

My fun and exciting day!



Here is a picture of how I left the Grand Am this afternoon when I went to work. Cool, huh? As Yoshiko was leaving for work this morning, her car wouldn't start. It cranked but nothing. I was positive it wasn't the battery, but to make sure, I tried jumping it with my car. Wouldn't start. I let her take my car to school thinking I would have it started in time to go to work. haha. I talked to a mechanic friend who gave me a list of things to look for, including one I gave to him.

First thing I did was read the owner's manual. I needed to make sure that the security system hadn't disabled the car. Yesterday was over 90 degrees, so Yoshiko had the windows cracked. Today was a heavy rain day. I think we got about as much rain today as we normally get in a month during the summer. The car's door panels were drenched. After researching, I found out that if the security system had disabled the car, it would shut down the fuel pump. Well, that was the second thing that I needed to check. Fuel pump status: fine.

Well, this leaves three problems. Either the engine is flooded, the spark plugs are bad, or the coil pack is dead. First problem is easily fixed--just let it sit for several hours. The second is also easily fixed--just costs $25 for the new plugs. The third problem is really a problem. According to my mechanic friend, it would cost around $300 for a new pack. And that is if I do the repair myself. Ouch! When I go home tonight, I will check to see if the coil sparks. If it does, I'm changing the spark plugs.

With today being a rainy day, and me having no car, I had to do quite a bit of walking in the rain. I really don't know how I did that so willingly as a missionary in Japan where it rained every day of the year (including holidays :P). I guess clocking in about 15 miles is good exercise, eh? The walking was for a good purpose, though. I bought a tiny-bit-late birthday present for Yoshiko. I bought the best thing I could think of, especially with us just buying a piano--piano music. What I bought her wasn't just music, it was a load of music. Or as my Aussie friends would say, a heap of music. Two books of around 50 challenging pieces a piece. I think that will keep her busy for a while. She really was excited when she opened that present.

Well, I made Yoshiko come home from school early to give me my car so I could go to work. I was still almost an hour late. Tisk tisk, you say. Ha! Can't really do anything about it. One working car, and it's mine. I find that ironic. My car, the reliable one. That's what we bought the Grand Am for. I really hope it's just the plugs. Well, I took Yoshiko back to school and came to work.

You might think that the day is going to be better, haha, no way. The best part of my day was giving Yoshiko her music. That made the whole day worth it. Anyway, after I'm done with work, I have about six assignments due tomorrow in one class. Usually the Summer semester is easier because of less time. The teachers for the two classes I'm taking this block are doing everything from the regular-length semesters. It's too much. I'm about as stressed out as they come today. I need a break!!

No comments: